Strawberry season is coming to an end but there is still time to make the most delicious jam for all those back to school lunches.
Wash them, hull them, cut them and pour them into a big pot.
Blend them into strawberry soup with an immersion blender.
Add lots of sugar and see it glisten.
Fill four or five pints jars or seven or eight half-pints. These are great gifts for teachers, neighbors and friends.
Make your first PB& homemade J.
Make extra for the kids who will want some too.
Send a strawberry hug to school with your sweeties.
So Easy Strawberry Jam adapted from Better Homes and Gardens
INGREDIENTS (makes about 8 half pints)
7-8 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
1 1-3/4 oz. powdered fruit pectin
1 tsp. butter (to reduce foaming)
7 cups white sugar
1. Put berries into dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot over medium heat.
2. Allow berries to warm and release some juices then begin pureeing with immersion blender.
3. Turn heat to high and add pectin and butter. Puree constantly until boiling.
4. Add sugar and return to a boil and allow to boil one minute while pureeing to smooth.
5. Take off the heat and skim foam as needed.
6. Pour immediately into prepared jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
7. Wipe rims, top with lids and rims and immerse into boiling water for 10 minutes.
8. Remove and cool. Keeps for months in the pantry.